Translate

Blog Archive

Sunday, April 30, 2017

April 2017 comes to an end.

Most of the shots in this post are ones I took today, the last day of April but I'll begin with a few from the past couple of weeks.

blogDSCN0905

I love yellow fields that I inevitably see when driving outside the city in April. 

blogDSCN0994

It's also nice to see the birds foraging on the ground like the cardinal above.

blogDSCN1020

The roses above are one of the few varieties I still have in my overgrown neglected yard.

blogDSCN1035

The bath water was hanging onto the American Robin.

blogDSCN1044

The rest of the shots are from a walk around the JC Raulston Arboretum at NCSU today.

blogDSCN1052

They've made a lot of changes since I walked there last. 

blogDSCN1056

The lath house is always one of my favorite places to explore.

blogDSCN1078

They did a major change to the lath houses some years ago but that's one of the few part of the garden that doesn't seem different from when I was there last.

blogDSCN1080

I always like to see children enjoying gardens.

blogDSCN1086

There was one little boy that was fascinated with a dead animal and wanted to make sure we saw it.

blogDSCN1087

I guess it's as good of a way as any for children to get an understanding of the cycle of life.

blogDSCN1095

The paths meander in different ways from last year which confused me but major changes to paths and garden sections usually don't happen too often.

blogDSCN1104

I like the way the arboretum has a lot of different conditions within the garden.

blogDSCN1109

There's full sun, full shade, partial shade and so on.

blogDSCN1131

That's one of my favorite parts of another garden not too far from me (the North Carolina Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill).

blogDSCN1135

Duke gardens in Durham, NC is another nice one.

blogDSCN1137

I was glad Bill suggested the arboretum in Raleigh, NC today because I drive to Durham and back every day for work so it was nice to go to the one in the town I live in.

blogDSCN1141

There weren't as many people there as sometimes walk around the garden on weekends.

blogDSCN1152

The think the overcast weather may have cut down on the people which suited me.

blogDSCN1157

I prefer not having to dodge people when I'm taking pictures.

blogDSCN1178

There was a much larger part of the garden devoted to rose than there used to be.

blogDSCN1181

Believe it or not I actually whittled down the number of shots I initially picked for this post.

blogDSCN1185

That said this is a rather long photographic meander.

blogDSCN1191

Part of what makes it hard to be selective is there are so many different areas with different plants and trees.

blogDSCN1197

I am running out of commentary so I hope I'm coming close to an end.

blogDSCN1222

I upload to flicker before I start a post so while I'm pasting in the location of the shot I don't know how near I'm coming to the last shot I picked.

blogDSCN1246

I'm pretty sure I'm on the last stretch.

blogDSCN1247

Happy May Day tomorrow!

blogDSCN1256

6 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thanks for the wonderful walk Carver -- couldn't have been a better one for close to May Day -- gorgeous flowers, really a nice variety and more 'real' than one our local (Florida) Botanical Gardens have (to me anyway, because I will never really get used to no typical Spring flowers.)

Your yard is not overgrown and neglected -- it is naturalized. You are supposed to be proud of that -- it is more environmentally sound (and you have much better birds).

Photo Cache said...

I like gardens that offer a variety of plants. Hope your May is fabulous.

Lady Fi said...

Lovely shots. And how nice to see spring in full bloom!

Penelope Notes said...

I like the soaked robin. Thanks for the lovely walk, Carver. Your rambling roses seem to be doing very well despite being neglected. I’m a bit envious as I’ve tried to grow similar roses of a similar color in my own yard but for some reason they’ve not thrived.

lissa said...

the JC Raulston Arboretum looks rather nice for a walk, it's beautiful. thanks for sharing them here.

have a lovely day.

YTSL said...

I love arboretums -- and I also loved that photo of the robin fresh from its bath! :)

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019